BOOK CLUB

• Posted by Lyzabeth on April 20, 2023 at 10:34 am

Hello guys ๐Ÿ™‚

We’ve been chatting a bit on adding a book club to our roaster of topics in our weekly Tuesday night meet ups. I’m going to create a list below of some of the books that I’ve really enjoyed that I feel may be interesting based on many of our chats. We can use one of our chats a month to go over topics in the book, but keep it open so anyone can follow and take part even if they didn’t get a chance to read the book. Feel free to add suggestions below as well. I’d love to hear your favorites as well. In this world of ever changing science, I love that we can all learn and grow together ๐Ÿ™‚

TOPICS:

HORMONES/ WOMEN’S HEALTH:

– The Hormone Cure, Sara Gottfried MD (heavy emphasis on chronic stress, peri-menopause and menopause)

– Woman Code, Alisa Vitti (emphasis on PCOS, and living based on your menstrual cycle)

– A new way to age, Suzanne Somers (she interviews doctors on topics of women’s health)

NUTRITION

– How Not to Diet, Michael Greger MD (emphasis on benefits of high fibre, vegan diet – The whole book reviews studies to put each theory ‘to the test’)

– Toxic Superfoods, Sally K Norton MD (Oxalate overload – kidney health)

– Teaming with Microbes: (gardeners guide to healthy soil, microbes)

– Deep Nutrition, Catherine Shanahan MD (emphasis on overall nutrition – the why’s of seed oil issues etc. She’s a believer in meats and dairy btw. She’s an athlete that was in the Olympic trials with a lot of strong opinions).

– Drop Acid (I haven’t read it yet, it’s on my list – here is the blurb: ‘The surprising new science of uric acid. The key to losing weight, controlling blood sugar and achieving extraordinary health’.

– Gut: The inside story of our body’s most underrated organ, Giulia Enders (entertaining book about our gut – I thought she was pretty funny too, lol)

– Glucose Revolution, Jessie Inchauspe (get a better understanding of how glucose works in your body and how to avoid spikes)

– Eating Alive, John Matson – I read this as part of my reading materials which in school for Nutrition. From what I remember, it focused around digestion and food sensitivities. I remember learning a great deal from this book. This was roughly 2008 fyi.

HEALTH

– Why We Sleep, Matthew Walker (a great book giving a better understanding of sleep)

– The Circadian Code, Satchin Panda PhD (I’ve mentioned this book often. I think everyone should read it at some point. The master behind the theory of the Circadian Code.

– Free Your Fascia, Dr Daniel Fenster (A very good book explaining fascia. Easy to understand and follow. A good topic to understand.)

– Dirty Genes, Ben Lynch (A very interesting book about our genes. He explains gene SNPs and walks you through the symptoms so you can follow along to see where you might stand and how to clean them up).

HABITS

Atomic Habits, James Clear (great tips on habit forming)

The Power of Habit, Charles Duhigg (also great tips on habit forming)

Here is an amazon link to the list of above books to see more details:

https://amzn.to/3KS4yoK

@Charlene @Martha @Lizz @Kaitlyn @Jasmine @Rachelle @Erica-W @Harpreet @sweetpea68hotmail-com @Suki

Charlene replied 11 months, 3 weeks ago 5 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • Lara

April 20, 2023 at 11:40 am

Hi Lizabeth! I love this idea. I have been wanting to read the Circadian Code and I am also interested in anything having to do with hormones and hormonal shifts. Thanks!

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
      April 20, 2023 at 2:38 pm

Yay!

Circadian Code and the Hormone Cure and phenomenal and eye opening. A great place to start!
      I’m leaning towards one of those to start the club… I’ll await a few more votes ๐Ÿ™‚

• Sheba

April 20, 2023 at 11:55 am

Omg,

I have not been on the calls in quite sometime but I watch the replays from time to time. I love this new discussion topic. Iโ€™m so excited about the book club! Thank you for the lovely list of books. I love reading Food & Nutrition books. I canโ€™t wait to check out the ones from your list. I just followed you on Amazon (lol).

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
      April 20, 2023 at 2:41 pm

Yay!

Let me know which one you choose to start with. They have have a different focus, so just read the little blurb I wrote beside them for the one you think will support your journey the most right now. Lmk which you choose as your start vote ๐Ÿ˜œ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿฝ

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
    April 20, 2023 at 2:44 pm

I could also add a biohacking books section as I’ve read a few of those, but I wouldn’t start with them as they tend to have a lot of anecdotal theories which are fine, but not an ideal starting point. If you’d like me to add those to the list as well, lmk and I’ll add them in ๐Ÿ™‚

• Elizabeth

April 20, 2023 at 7:13 pm

Not sure what biohacking is (although a quick google search would lead me in the right direction I am sure lol), but always interested in your suggestions!

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
        April 21, 2023 at 6:52 pm

Lol ๐Ÿ™‚ Bio hackers in a nutshell are usually educated professionals that are looking for the latest and greatest in hacking our biology in search of ultimate health & the fountain of youth.

Example: David Sinclair, Harvard Researcher might be considered a biohacker. He has a book called Life Span.

• Elizabeth

April 24, 2023 at 6:39 pm

Oh my goodness!!! Thatโ€™s crazy. I read that book. Mid February. I personally was not a huge fan of it- and in fairness I tried reading the whole thing but stopped 1/2 way or 3/4 of the way because I just didnโ€™t feel he was saying much in the way of how we can actually โ€œpreventโ€ or slow down our aging. It just felt like the book was taking so long to get there- or based purely on the title, I assumed and/or anticipated it would have been more focused on that, then all of the studies.

Wow!! Crazy haha. But now I absolutely understand the definition. I think that is a category I would be interested in reading in the future, but at least with the experience of that book lifespan, it didnโ€™t do much for me in the now.

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
            April 24, 2023 at 7:13 pm

Oh, good to know. I haven’t read lifespan yet, but I’ve watched David Sinclairs full podcast series. The podcast was interesting, but he said that the research in his book was now somewhat outdated, so I didn’t bother, lol.

I think the only biohackers that I’ve read are Ben Greenfield and Dave Asbury (spelling?)

I liked Boundless, it was very long, but interesting and I did adopt a few things from it like the red night lights in my washrooms for night time pee sessions, lol.

• Elizabeth

April 24, 2023 at 7:24 pm

Lol.

Oh nice!! Since you mentioned about the red light at night ( I think I read it also in the Circadian Code too?) I have implemented that change! Would definitely look into possibly that book and also the podcast! Thanks for those names!!

• Elizabeth

April 20, 2023 at 7:12 pm

Great list of books and thankful for your side notes too lol. I am definitely interested in Eating Alive (esp because of your notes) and Deep nutrition. Atomic Habits is another one I am looking to read too! I will say, on your list, I have read How Not to Die (or almost done, so good), why we sleep, the circadian code and power of habit). I would also read any of them again-especially the circadian code! I feel like I started the drop acid book but I don’t really remember it- so that could mean I didn’t finish it or I wasn’t impressed by it lol.

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
      April 21, 2023 at 7:00 pm

Dr Greggor actually has two books that I know of, How not to Die and How not to Diet, so we read different books. I haven’t read How no to Die yet, but it does look good.

I would also read Circadian Code again ๐Ÿ™‚

• Lyzabeth

Organizer
    April 26, 2023 at 12:01 pm

Here’s the final!

Book Club

1. Circadian Code – May

2. Hormone Cure – June

3. Deep Nutrition – July

4. The Power of Habit – August

5. Dirty Genes – September

6. (fitness training book that doesnโ€™t read like a text book) – October – I’m taking tips on this. I’ll keep looking until then ๐Ÿ™‚

• Charlene

April 29, 2023 at 3:05 am

Hi @Lyzabeth I love this! Thank you for organizing it monthly. I do appreciate learning and evolving with science and nutrition updates – this will be a good add to the daily read that I try to accomplish. I too have Audible, so I might rely on that.

The Ciracadian code is certainly one I would love to check out and dive deeper into. You actually list so many good titles, I am open to getting something out of each of them. Dirty Genes, Woman Code, Gut and Glucose Revolution are title that really intrigue me right now.

Looking forward to this – I can’t promise I will finish every book – will do my best.